Braised Fingerling Potatoes
- 1.5 lbs small fingerling potatoes
- 1 lg shallot sliced thick, 1/2"
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 lg sprig rosemary broken in half
- 5 sprigs thyme plus more for garnish
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 T extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Crowded Kitchen Classic Chicken Stock or Garden Vegetable Stock
- salt & fresh ground black pepper
- Scrub the potatoes clean. Leave the small ones whole, cut the big ones in half crosswise.
- Put the potatoes in a straight-sided sauté pan (or large dutch oven) so that they fit in a single layer. Add the sliced shallot, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and bay leaves to the pan. Pour in the olive oil and stir until everything is evenly coated. Add the stock and a little salt and pepper - not too much salt now! You'll adjust it later.
- Bring pot to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn the potatoes over, cover, and simmer for an another 10 to 12 minutes, or until they are can be easily pierced with a sharp pairing knife.
- Remove the lid and bring to high heat or until the braising liquid has come to a boil (add a couple tablespoons of water or stock if the pan looks too dry). Continue cooking, shaking the pan occasionally until all of the liquid has evaporated and the potatoes are coated in a nice glaze. Remove from the heat and discard the herbs. Adjust salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Garnish with chopped thyme & serve immediately.